Thursday, January 28, 2010

Super Soup!

In the winter the Yankee in me demands that I make soups; Lots and lots of soups to ward off those winter blues! The slow cooker allows me to make the soups without much intervention and cooks the soups long & slow to really get that home-cooker flavor. Last week I made baked potato soup with Yukon gold potatoes, sour cream, green onions & cheddar cheese- Yum! Today I am working on a Lima Bean (yes, those are limas, just a version called "Christmas") soup. I would call it "Succotash Soup" as it has limas, tomatoes, corn & potatoes, but somehow that does not sound as appetizing as it looks...

Soup is so easy; just grab a base (in this case I used vegetable soup stock), drop in your already soaked & softened beans, two cans of tomatoes ( I used fire-roasted this time), corn, diced potatoes, some chopped jalapenos, diced onions, and chopped garlic. I put it on low and let it cook all day... and dinner is fresh, hot & ready! Less processed food, more love I always say...

1 comment:

Kathy Hester (GeekyPoet) said...

I love soup and I love my slow cooker to cook them in! I have a bunch of healthy slow cooker recipes that I post on my blog if you're interested. (http://healthyslowcooking.wordpress.com)