Monday, November 12, 2007

Wowie Cake

Ahhh, cake. I love cake. I love the celebrating that comes with cake. I love baking cakes, eating cakes, and checking out the cake recipes and designs other people make...

Lately I have been been moved to go back to "scratch recipes" because of recent bad experiences with the mixes in the little boxes. They just do not taste like what I remember, and have a strange, unpleasant aftertaste that makes them very unappealing!

My mom has this weird, awesome recipe for a cake she calls "Wowie Cake". It tastes like Devil's Food, is vegan, is great for kids with milk allergies, and has ingredients that will stump even the most experienced foodie if you ask them what the "secret ingredient" is. It really tastes wonderful, is moist and rich, and takes no time at all to make. If you replace the oil with applesauce, it is even low-fat. It is a culinary wonder and a family tradition, so I just have to share it with everyone!

My mom likes to frost it with regular white frosting when it cools, and drizzle melted dark chocolate over the cooled icing for even more rich taste. Enjoy!

Wowie Cake

Mix all ingredients together and pour into cake pan

1 cup sugar
1 & 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 TABLESPOON apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil (can be replaced with apple sauce, but cake will be heavier)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup cold water

Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes

No comments: