Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sisters

My big sister came for a visit a few weekends ago. Our lives have been so full and so busy that we had not seen each other in person for a long time. It always amazes me that when we get back together it is like time has not passed; I always feel so comfortable with her. We are very different people, and our ages are not very close, but none of that seems to matter. She introduced me to Tolkien, took me for long nature walks, sang me to sleep, and never made me feel left out (even though I was so much younger). How lucky could I be to have a big sister like that?

It is interesting to me that even though our paths in life not alike, and we are very different in personality, we still enjoy so many of the same things. We also seem to have convergent ideas even though we are hundreds of miles apart. I often wonder what part genetics plays in that, and what part our upbringing did.

I hope that we will get to spend some more time together this summer at the new house. We both love the outdoors and the beauty of the woods so much. I am looking forward to exploring with her; we just seem to find the same things interesting, and enjoy them together. I have my gore-tex hiking boots down there just waiting...

No comments: