Tuesday, December 4, 2007

In Memorium

Today I had to make one of the hardest decisions I have ever made. Deckard had been slowly declining in health for quite some time, but lately things had accelerated. He had lost more than 10 pounds in a few weeks, was eating on and off, was starting to pace around at night, his heart was starting to race with the slightest exertion, and many more problems too numerous to mention. We took him to Floyd over the weekend, and I thought maybe that would be his last vacation, so I made the most of it with him.

He had real trouble getting around this morning, and was not acting like himself, so I felt it might be his time. I took him into the Vet, and was not surprised by what I heard. The Vet told me that he was going into kidney failure (he had spent a lifetime on assorted pain medications for hip dysplasia so this was not surprising), his heart was having trouble, and he was having mobility issues that would only make things worse. The Vet said kidney failure was not a pleasant way to go, and he was going to start on the path downhill quickly. I could not let him suffer, and decided that it was better for him to go while he was still somewhat happy, and not wait until he became miserable all the time. He was a dignified, powerful, alpha-dog and it was the least I could do for him.

So I held him in my arms as he took his last breath this morning. He was a good dog, and I loved him. I will miss him, and his absence already saddens me.

3 comments:

Robert Lyonhorn, Minister of Records said...

So sorry to hear that, guys. Natalie and I give our condolences. Deckard was a great dog and I'll always remember him fondly. It's never easy to make that decision, especially during the holidays.

Kim said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Deckard and I were friends and he will be missed.

Know your friends are here during your time of loss.

Love ya,

Unknown said...

Mindy and Oscar,
I just read your blog for the first time and am so sorry about Deckard.
He has been a legend and will be missed. Even though it was his time,
it cannot be easy! It's great he saw your new home! My sympathy! Adcsdns