Thursday, December 13, 2007

My Dad's (infamous) Holiday Rum Balls

Every Christmas my Dad whips up a batch of the most delicious rum balls you will ever taste. They are an old family tradition, and I look forward to them every year (it is just not Christmas without these, or my Mom's Cherry Icebox Cake, which I will post later...). He has kindly emailed the recipe to me today, so I thought I should share. Remember, these are NOT cooked, so the DO still contain alcohol, albeit a small amount per serving.

Dad's Rum Balls

Ingredients:
2 cups vanilla wafers (all crushed up---Cuisinart does great for this)
1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
2 tablespoons white corn syrup
1/2 cup Rum (or you can use Brandy, Cointreau, Bourbon)--Dad prefers dark rum

Directions:
Mix all ingredients well, keeping confectioners sugar aside in bowl for rolling the rum balls in...
Shape by teaspoonfuls into firm balls
Roll in confectioners sugar
Store in a tightly covered container
Separate layers with parchment or wax paper so they do not all stick together


No comments: