Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Spring has sprung...


FINALLY, it is looking like spring around here. I swear it keeps coming sooner every year, but it is rarely soon enough for me. Since my allergies no longer keep to the usual seasons and have moved in permanently, I no longer fear the coming of the spring...

The flowers are popping, new birds are arriving and the critters are starting to roam about, including myself. I have been trying to roam the roads and get some sun and exercise. There is so much to see coming in at this time of year, and if you blink, you might just miss something special!

Spring also seems to motivate me to eat better, and I have been prowling around the produce section and farmers markets waiting for the spring greens and other seasonal delicacies... I am hoping to find some Swiss Chard to use this new recipe I love. You must have fresh chard, or else it is not worth cooking, so if you find good chard, expect to have to cook it that day.

Sauteed Garlic Chard
1 large bunch of fresh Swiss chard
1 small clove garlic, sliced
2 Tbsp EV olive oil
2 Tbsp water
Pinch of dried crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (if desired, not required)
salt to taste

Rinse out the Swiss chard leaves thoroughly. Remove the toughest part of the stalk & chop the leaves into strips (1-2 inches wide).

Heat a saucepan on a medium heat setting, add EV olive oil, the chopped garlic and the crushed red pepper. Sauté for about a minute. Add the chopped Swiss chard leaves. Cover. Check after about 5 minutes. If it looks dry, add a little more water. Give the leaves a toss to make sure every leaf gets a chance to cook at the bottom of the pile. Cover again. Check again after another 5 minutes (remove a piece and taste it). Toss with salt & butter "to taste". I like a little vinegar on mine, but many people do not like the extra "zing", so I serve it on the side for people to use as they wish. MMMMMmmmm! There are a few things that are very good for you AND that taste good, and this is one of them.


No comments: