Thursday, August 14, 2008

They eat JALAPENOS???




















I went out this morning to grab some of the little hot peppers that were ripe and ready to be picked on the plants that I have in containers on the front patio, and was surprised to find NONE of the ripe ones were left from when I checked last night!

I noticed one of the branches of the plants was swaying slightly, and this fat fellow was feasting upon the last ripe pepper to be had.

I was a little incensed that this ugly fellow had consumed at least SIX peppers in 14 hours, but also, I have to admit, fairly intrigued by his menu selection and his ability to consume items several times his weight and length is so short a time.

I looked him up and he will someday, after consuming MANY MANY more of my vegetables, become a Swallowtail Butterfly, so I decided that I could lose some peppers (how many do I really need, anyhow?) in an effort to gain more butterflies. I am sure this one will survive predation until he is ready to pupate due to the powerful taste and smell he must have acquired from eating all those fiery foods...

No comments: